Prairiewood High School logo

Prairiewood High School

Prairiewood High School

Per Ardua - Through Striving

Telephone02 9725 5444

Parents, carers and the community

As a parent or carer, you are an important part of our school community. We offer a range of services to support you and your family.

For information in various languages on helping your child with literacy and numeracy at home please click this link

Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C)

Our Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C) is made up of parents and carers, teachers and community members. The P&C meets regularly to contribute to decision-making, developing policies and management plans as well as fundraising.

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. Ph: 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. Ph: 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – an advice and information service. Ph: 1300 1300 52.

Health concerns and how long your child should be kept home

Sometimes children must be kept away from school or childcare if, for example, they have a certain type of infectious disease. Here is some information about what will happen if your child needs to be excluded from school.

Should I keep my child home from school?

This depends on how easily the infection could spread, how severe the disease is and the length of the incubation period. Please open this document for a list of common childhood illnesses and their recommended exclusion periods.  

If you are unsure please call the school.

COVID 19 Advice for Families

Interpreting and translations

We will help you communicate with our school. If you’d like an interpreter for a school meeting, let us know and we will arrange one, if available.

If you don’t speak or understand English well and want to contact us, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. The operator will call the school and get an interpreter to help. This service is free.

For more information, listen in your language.

Visit the department’s translated documents section for important information that’s relevant for your child’s education in many languages.

Former President of the P & C, Dr Ashni Prasad, speaks with Tana Tuake about the role of the P & C at Prairiewood High School and our Community Engagement Programs, in this short video. 

The P & C have a special website with more information.