Prairiewood High School logo

Prairiewood High School

Prairiewood High School

Per Ardua - Through Striving

Telephone02 9725 5444

Attendance & Absences

PHS Attendance Policy & Procedures

Attendance and absences

Students must attend school regularly so they can achieve their educational best and increase their career and life options.

In NSW, all children from the age of 6 are legally required to attend school or be registered for home schooling through the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). All students must complete Year 10, or its equivalent.

Young people below the age of 17 who have completed Year 10 must be:

  • in school, or registered for home schooling 

  • in approved education or training, such as a traineeship, apprenticeship or TAFE

  • in full-time paid employment (average 25 hours a week) 

  • in a combination of work, education and/or training (average of 25 hours a week combined).

Students 17 years and over who are enrolled in school must attend school regularly to meet HSC course requirements. 

As a parent or carer, you are responsible for ensuring your child attends school every day when they are of compulsory school age. You must explain all absences to the school within 7 days.

For more information about compulsory school attendance, visit:

Parents are required to explain the absence of their child from school within 7 days of the absence. This can be done via a phone call to the school (9725 5444), a text reply to the text we send you advising of absence, an email ( or a written note that can be handed to the Front Office- Student Services Counter.  If your parents have difficulty in writing in English, then the note can be written in your parent’s own language – the school is able to arrange for a translation.

The note should contain the following information:

-            Your full name (PRINTED) and English Class

-            Date(s) absent from school

-            Reason for your absence

-            The date the note was written

-            The signature of your parent or legal guardian.