Prairiewood High School logo

Prairiewood High School

Prairiewood High School

Per Ardua - Through Striving

Telephone02 9725 5444

Supporting school attendance



PHS Attendance (ROLL CALL) - Students should arrive at school by 8.30. A warning bell will ring, then the first period bell will ring. Students should attend period 1 where their names will be marked. There is no separate roll call. Parents must continue to notify the school if their child will be absent.

If parents have any questions about school attendance please contact Mrs Susan Davis, Head Teacher Student Engagement on 9725-5444. 

Attendance and Absences

Students must attend school regularly so they can achieve their educational best and increase their career and life options.

In NSW, all children from the age of 6 are legally required to attend school or be registered for home schooling through the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). All students must complete Year 10, or its equivalent.

Young people below the age of 17 who have completed Year 10 must be:

  • in school, or registered for home schooling 

  • in approved education or training, such as a traineeship, apprenticeship or TAFE

  • in full-time paid employment (average 25 hours a week) 

  • in a combination of work, education and/or training (average of 25 hours a week combined).

Students 17 years and over who are enrolled in school must attend school regularly to meet HSC course requirements. 

As a parent or carer, you are responsible for ensuring your child attends school every day when they are of compulsory school age. 


Parents are required to explain the absence of their child from school within 7 days of the absence. This can be done via a phone call to the school (9725 5444), a text reply to the text we send you advising of absence, an email ( or a written note to the roll call teacher.  If parents have difficulty in writing in English, then the note can be written in your own language – the school is able to arrange for a translation.

The note should contain the following information:

-            Student's full name (PRINTED) and Roll Class

-            Date(s) absent from school

-            Reason for the absence

-            The date the note was written

-            The signature of parent or legal guardian.


All students who are late to school must report to the school Office to sign in where they will be given a Late Slip and then directed to their roll call room. The late slip will show the date and time of the arrival and a reason for their lateness, if there is one.

Students who are late to school multiple times will be referred to the Head Teacher Student Engagement, who will call home and may then involve the Home School Liaison Officer.

LEAVE (for holiday/overseas travel) – ALL STUDENTS

Families are encouraged to travel during school holidays. If travel during school term is necessary, discuss this with your child's school principal. An 'Application for Extended Leave' may need to be completed. Absences relating to travel will be marked as leave on the roll and therefore contribute to your child's total absences for the year.

To apply for leave, you should complete the Application for Extended Leave and Certificate of Extended Leave forms which can be obtained from the school office or in the links above. Return the completed forms to the school along with relevant travel documentation such as an e-ticket or itinerary (in the case of non-flight bound travel within Australia only). 

LEAVING SCHOOL - Attention: Parents (Students must have a very good reason to leave early)

1) During the day:

a) If students have to leave school early on any day they must bring a note from home written by a parent or guardian, including a contact phone number for the Head Teacher Administration to verify arrangements for a safe journey home.

b) The note to leave early is taken to the Head Teacher Administration before school, where students will be given a Permission to Leave School Form.

c) Students will be given a Leave Pass if permission is given to you to leave early.

d) Students will be permitted to leave class at the time stated on the Leave Pass, but they must report to the School Office and sign out, before they leave.

e) Students in Year 7 to 10 MUST be picked up from school by a parent or guardian. If a parent is not present to pick up the student, they will NOT be given permission to leave unless special permission is given by the Head Teacher Administration or Deputy Principal.

Students in Years 11 and 12 are allowed to leave by themselves.

2) Transfer or Leaving School

a) If you wish to transfer your child to another school or leave school they must bring written permission from a parent or guardian to the School Office.

b) A Leaver’s Clearance Form has to be completed by each faculty Head Teacher, the Year Adviser, Librarian, Sports Organiser and Deputy Principal.

c) A clearance will only be given when all books have been returned and all monies paid.

3) Long Term Leave for Overseas Holiday/Family Visit 

Please see information above under "Leave (for holiday/overseas travel)". If this leave is not approved, it will be entered as UNJUSTIFIED (same as for truancy).

For more information about compulsory school attendance, visit: